South Sydney Graphic Arts Club
Becoming a Director
Are you looking to boost your career path and build your resume?
Want to reinforce invaluable professional development skills?
Would you like to give back to your community?
The South Sydney Graphic Arts Club Mascot is looking for great leaders and fresh expertise to help guide and maintain our club’s future by calling for pre-nominations for any individual interested in standing for election to the Board of Directors.
The role of a Director is a complex and satisfying one. It combines important aspects of good corporate governance with strategic leadership and ambassadorship for the club. As the Board of Directors has significant influence on the management and financial performance of the club, it also requires a strong grasp of financial concepts to carry out the role effectively.
The club’s constitution requires all individuals wishing to pre-nominate to satisfy the following criteria:
- Be an ordinary member of the Club for three years, or a Life Member
- Successfully complete training in the Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) and Responsible Conduct of Gaming (RCG)
If you satisfy these criteria, we encourage you to apply by completing the Pre-Nomination Application Form which will give you the opportunity to detail the experience and skills you can bring to this important role. Applications for pre-nomination close on Friday 14th January 2022 at 12.00noon.
You will then be required to complete the Clubs NSW Pre-Nomination Course training module covering the following key components:
- History of Clubs in NSW: mutuality, benefits of clubs and a review of IPART.
- Role of a Director: who can be a director, insolvency, honesty and good faith, confidentiality, conflicts of interest, elections and voting, decision making and community development and support expenditure (CDSE).
- The Law: Liquor Act, Gaming Machines Act, Corporations Act, Registered Clubs Act, OH&S, constitutions, contracts, disposal of club property and amalgamations.
- Compliance: financial reporting and the Anti-Money Laundering Counter Terrorism Financing Act.
The pre-nomination course will commence on Sunday 16th January 2022 at 2.30 pm at the club at a cost of $149. This will be refunded if successfully elected to the Board.
Once elected, you will then complete two additional Clubs NSW mandatory training modules ~ Finance for Club Boards and Directors Foundation and Management. These modules were developed by Clubs NSW, in consultation with the Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (OLGR), in direct response to the recommendations of the NSW Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal’s (IPART) 2008 report. They form part of the legal accreditation required to fulfil the responsibilities of the role of club director.
These flexible learning modules and assessments will be completed online so require a basic level of computer literacy. Depending on the current level of knowledge, each module can take anywhere from three to eleven hours to complete.
If you believe you can contribute to the club and its community as a director, you are encouraged to contact the CEO. A one-on-one consultation with a current Board Member can also be arranged to outline the process to you in full and to assist you in assessing your suitability for the role.